My project.......IT'S GROWN!!! I never thought this day would come!!! Well.....I went from not having much of anything besides Noise Ink and now I have a 2-D character you can interact with and move! I now have a 2-D character moving! Phew. What a relief! WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY! http://vimeo.com/20473750
Now......For those of you who don't fully grasp how long this actually took.........You don't want to know. Trying to get 3 programs to work and function to then work with an animation program is an amazing challenge. I went from having all 3 not work (having to get rid of Microsoft's Kinect beta) to 2 working and the final part for the entire 2-D character to move wasn't functioning. BLAH! Finally figured that out and now......I'm re-evaluating everything.
I'm putting aside the technology aspect and focusing on the main idea/what I want the viewer to get out of my piece. I have....A LOT of ideas/interests that this project could deal with. Here's my list so far! (added questions for myself to think about)
- Documentation (recording the kinect grey scale, photography, video camera)
- Voice commands (character is able to respond/talk back)
- Emotional connection (empathy, sympathy, frustration, anger)
- Disconnect (say move left and character moves right)
- Character has mind of it's own (can turn itself off, gets "annoyed"/non-compliant with viewer)
- Virtual vs. Reality (video camera with infrared or camera)
- Why use a mirror?
- Character/avatar: stand in for the human body (have a selection)
- What makes a gamer care for a character in a game? (Background story, connection in some way and empathy/sympathy)
- Able to build a relationship between character and viewer
- FUN FACT! To see one's reflection in ancient Greece and India it was considered an omen of death.
A LOT to think about...I know....I have come up with an idea and I'm tweaking it...But..... here it is.
Help a victim of some sort of crime (rape, violence, hate, burglary, etc. etc. ) through asking them a series of questions/ getting to know the character and the character gets to know you. Able to help soothe the character or the character gets annoyed with the viewer and shuts off or stops talking.
With this...I have more ideas and possibilities.
- Story! Make it real and believable
- Every 3, 5, 10, etc etc people that interact with it gets annoyed/stops talking
- What if the characters change with every viewer that comes up and some are guilty of a crime while some are innocent?
- Characters stories loosely based off of real experiences of other people
- What if ALL characters are guilty of a crime but it's "justified" example: man needed money so he robbed a bank or stole someones identity to pay his dying wife's cancer treatment.
All seems very psychological doesn't it? Well...Fun fact about me. If I wasn't doing art I was going to pursue a career in criminal profiling. (building psychological profiles based off of crimes to help police find the perpetrator) Not sure if I'm going to go with this idea....But....I'm liking it and it feels right! I would have to give questions to the viewer........Or....maybe I'm completely jumping the gun.
My timeline, I'm right in sync with it!!!! That's a first! Though I'm going to hold off on the 3-D for now and work on the idea part for this week.
Week 5:
- Mon: Start figuring out best way to create 3-D character for Kinect
- Wed: Begin working/figuring out 3-D character for Kinect
- 100% identify idea for this project (which then may change what direction I go...2-D/3-D)
- Work on personal 2-D character
- Work on 3-D Character
No comments:
Post a Comment