Sunday, November 6, 2011

Update #7

BRAINSTORMING AWAY!!! Still brainstorming........ BUT! I think I finally figured out a direction. SHADOWS! Why? Everyone has one and identifies with their shadow because it's apart of them. (we rarely think about our shadows....But they're there) How did I go from monsters to shadows? Well....Few reasons why.

1.) I wasn't sure if I could connect the viewer to a monster in the way that I wanted
2) These two shadow projects were inspiring

http://fantomatico.org/artworks/

http://fantomatico.org/artworks/

3.) The psychology aspect of shadows is interesting to me.

I began to wonder what the psychology was for a shadow. I found many things but all pertained to this "SHADOW: The Deficient or Negative Ego. The shadow represents all our disowned, despised, and repressed traits. It lives buried in the closets of our subconscious minds safe from our judgments. The shadow is our "dark side." It acts out for us all those denied emotions and urges we wish we didn't have. "

How wonderful is that!? Everyone has a shadow and can relate and have a personal/emotional connection! It's the "evil side" to all of us and we hardly think about our shadows following us 24/7 since birth and until our death. Now the question is.....Where to go from here?

There may or may not be a mirror now.....Here are some ideas I'm playing with......

  • If I project this on a wall it can look like it's the viewers shadow.
  • Having a bank of shadows and each one is deformed in a way. (missing arm, leg, fingers, etc. etc.)
  • The viewer interacts with it for a certain amount of time or a certain move is done a limb off the shadow falls of? Relates to deformed.....
  • If there's multiple people viewing at once could I possibly have multiple shadows going at once? (certain coordinates/points trigger a shadow)
  • Could I have multiple people interacting with shadows and then they get a mind of their own? An example is one shadow killing another or making out with another one. The way the shadows interact with the viewer and other shadows reflect on the viewer....Even though they have no control at a certain point.
Still a lot to think about and figure out....But I'm making progress! Here are some reference photos that I found.



No comments:

Post a Comment