Friday, January 7, 2011

Second Project

Last term's project didn't turn out as expected due to time restraints, figuring out how I work (still in progress) and a big ambition. This term I want to focus and actually achieve a goal....Whether it be to get a small start on a show in the long rung or get a decent amount done this term.

Media: Photography, Photoshop, Maya and Mudbox, motion censored devices, projector, screen

Ideas: Will be using the creatures I drew last term to incorporate in the photographs or to create them in Maya and Mudbox.

PROPOSALS:

1.) Continue to work on my monsters from last term. The "The ugly, the grotesque and the nasty", will be turned into 3-D Models in maya and mudbox. The goal would be all three....But I think that's too much maybe 2 at the least.

2.) Work on a photography and 3-D mix. Take side profiles/portraits of people staring into a mirror and having their reflection be a 3-D monster I created. A take off of "beauty is only skin deep..." but could also be interpreted as what the person see's in their own reflection.

FINAL ONE: I will have a mirror or a mirror looking screen to have it motion censored so that when a person walks up they don't see their own reflection but my Maya/Mudbox monsters/creatures. Interactive, fun, interesting but complicated since I have NO experience what so ever with video projections, motion censored devices....Nothing.

Skills:

  • How use motion censor tools/prices/ etc. ( I need to an engineer......)
  • Will it be a video? A slide show set up on my computer to a projector
  • Learn how to use Mudbox
  • Re-learn maya since 2011 since it has an entire new interface...... (WHY!?!?)
  • Learn how to effectively combine a photograph and 3-D model
Timeline: To have this successful interactive piece done by the end of the term. I need to work on my timeline more....


Motion Censored Ideas:
  1. It was brought up to me that I could use the Xbox 360's Kinect device. It's USB and can be plugged into a projector or computer.... Thanks Lonny
  2. Might even be possible to take apart a motion censored light and use that for my motion censor?
  3. " principle of passive infrared technology. The infrared channels present in the device detect any motion in the environment or any change in the energy levels present in an area." Keep this in mind
  4. http://www.motionsensor1.com/motion-detector-device.php (good source)
  5. http://www.glolab.com/pirparts/infrared.html (Another great source...DIAGRAMS)

1 comment:

  1. I like both your proposals, Tawnee, and I find it hard to choose a personal preference. Did the weekend give you anymore clarity? If not, it might be good to just default to 'completion' and model the ugly, the grotesque and the nasty (looking forward to meeting them).... Either way, your next step will be a production timeline, factoring in the learning curb for the Mudbox and the new Maya, and choosing a Monday before the end of the month for a preliminary critique in class.

    ReplyDelete